I moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1983 on assignment flying C141s in the Air Force. It was only then, in my late 20s, that I really discovered a passion for the outdoors. Day hikes led to backpacks. My first marathon led to running Ultras. A mountaineering class led to scrambles and climbs. A lifetime of lift skiing led to backcountry skiing. As a music major in college, long hours of handwriting scores matured into a computer based writing, recording, producing and mastering method. Willis Wall Multimedia was born as an LLC in 2006 to market "Kendo Basics", and from there the melding of the visual arts and music has spawned short films, documentaries and this website.
No, I haven't had the time or means to hike long trails or take month long expeditions; raising a family and full time jobs precluded these endeavors. However, the melding of hiking, back packing, fast packing, trail ultras and mountaineering excursions has led to a gamut of experiences allowing me to develop my own philosophies on techniques and gear over the past 35 years, which I share on these pages. Some shortcuts and examples:
• Wonderland Trail: I've hiked the Wonderland over 30 times, and even time lapsed the trail in its entirety, including the alternate route over Spray Park. Explore every back country campsite in 300 degree panoramic video. Watch enhancement videos with topics from the history of the Wonderland to roads to specifics on the Panhandle Gap. Enjoy a taste of off trail with specific loop hikes. Look at past updates and enjoy a 3 part video on suffering the trail over 3 days.
• 35 Years in MRNP: in 2018, enjoy various posts concerning my decades of exploring Mt. Rainier National Park.
• Grand Tour: I take you around the mountain on a tour that incorporates off trail as well as established, totaling 150 miles and 50,000 feet of climb. These videos don't hand hold but give the viewer a taste of places seldom seen by the majority of hikers in the park, and are only viewable on this page.
• Complete Video Guide: A complete list of Willis Wall videos, also with sections on biking Rainier and other Washington state classic bike climbs, Mt. Adams Round the Mountain off trail time lapse, and a 40 minute production on hiking longer distances.
• Willis Wall Blog: Also with a reference list, the blog covers subjects ranging from gear reviews to specific trips to anything else that might be pertinent.
• Kendo: Kendo players can go here to access "Kendo Basics" on line. Further kendo related subjects will be realized as time permits.
I've enjoyed many trips with my son and daughter as they've grown up, and had the opportunity to explore far afield places like the Antarctic, Alaska, Australia and Europe while traveling in my job. You'll notice a lack of advertising here; the only monetized section is for my massive Wonderland Trail production which took the better part of a year and entailed considerable cost. Otherwise, everything else is available for free viewing in the hopes that my decades of exploring, gear selection and experiences might benefit the reader/viewer in their own endeavors. Please enjoy and don't hesitate to contact me if you think I may be able to offer any insight.
All photos, music and video on this site are realized by and at Willis Wall Multimedia studios.